SMS Nudge adds a multi-channel element to your recovery campaign to reach customers who may be unresponsive to emails.
How much can the SMS be customized?
Churn Buster provides default messaging that performs well based on your vertical. Timing is set by Churn Buster based on your campaign schedule.
- SMS Nudge is limited to 160 characters, with limitations on special characters to improve deliverability.
- If you need more control over SMS scheduling or messaging, Churn Buster can trigger SMS at optimal times to be configured on your end via an outside service.
Why aren't customer details included in the SMS?
For security purposes, SMS Nudge does not include customer-specific information — like the card update link or customer name — to avoid sending billing information to a stranger in the event phone numbers have been switched.
SMS Nudge is a simple reminder that prompts the customer to other channels to resolve the billing issue — like accessing the no-login links via email, updating directly in their portal, or contacting your support team via email for help.
Key guidelines for brands curious about SMS:
- SMS should only be used in cases where it would be a welcome and valuable service to the customer type. This may exclude some naturally high-churn business models.
- As a transactional message, specific customer opt-in isn't required. Opting into a subscription is consent to have that subscription fulfilled, and the obligation is to responsibly deliver on that promise unless explicitly asked not to.
- Information unrelated to the prompt renewal of the current order is never included (no marketing via promotions, coupons, cross-sells, etc.).
- SMS is used as an escalation, not as a primary tactic.
- Churn Buster will only send a single text within a campaign, though opt-outs are available to suppress sending in response to any future failed payments.